In a duel of promising young left-handers, Hugo Gaston, 21, lost to Jack Draper, 20 in the first round of the Masters 1000 in Toronto. Defeat 6-2, 6-3 in 1h23.
At the start of Monday, the match was interrupted by rain at 6-2, 2-3. On Tuesday, the Frenchman, 76th in the world, was unable to win a single game against the 82nd in the ATP rankings. But he had the chances.
Upon resumption, he led 15-40 on the Briton’s serve and got four break points. Giving up his commitment in stride, he dismissed three match points in the final game before losing.
Draper will face Tsitsipás
If he now remains on three consecutive defeats on the main circuit, Gaston won two games to get out of qualifying. Thanks to them gives up: 3-0, ab. facing Michael Mmoh; 6-2, 2-1ab. facing the Canadian invitation Gabriel Diallo, 20 years old and 669th in the world from a height of 2.01m.
Draper, who also got out of qualifying by defeating Habs Quentin Halys (3-1, ab.) and Italian Roberto Marcora (6-3, 6-0), now has an appointment with the seeded number 3: Stéfanos Tsitsipás.
The other matches of the first round in Montreal (Masters 1000, IGA Stadium, hard, 6,573,785 USD, results are displayed from newest to oldest):
- Andy Murray – Taylor Fritz: program Tuesday
- Miomir Kecmanovic – Botic van de Zandschulp: program Tuesday
- David Goffin – Albert Ramos-Vinolas: program Tuesday
- Diego Schwartzman – Alejandro Davidovich Fokina: program Tuesday
- Frances Tiafoe – Benjamin Bonzi: program Tuesday
- Fabio Fognini – Holger Rune: program Tuesday
- Benoit Paire – Yoshihito Nishioka: Tuesday program
- Cameron Norrie – Brandon Nakashima: scheduled for Tuesday
- Marcos Giron – Roberto Bautista Agut: program Tuesday
- Sebastian Baez – Nick Kyrgios: scheduled for Tuesday
- Alex De Minaur – Denis Shapovalov: 7-5, 7-6 
- Daniel Evans-Filip Krajinovic: 6-2, 1-6, 6-0
- Adrian Mannarino (Q) – Arthur Rinderknech (Q): 6-3, 6-3
- Grigor Dimitrov (N.15) – Alexis Galarneau (WC): 6-4, 7-5
- Gaël Monfils – Pedro Martinez: Tuesday program
- Marin Čilić (N.13) – Borna Coric: 6-3, 6-2
- Maxime Cressy – Aslan Karatsev: 6-4, 6-4
- Tommy Paul – Vasek Pospisil (WC): 6-4, 6-4
- Pablo Carreno Busta – Matteo Berrettini (N.11): 6-3, 6-2
- Jenson Brooksby – Alexander Bublik: 6-2, 6-3
- Alex Molcan – Mackenzie McDonald: 7-6 6-4
- Emil Ruusuvuori – Stan Wawrinka: 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
- Karen Khachanov – Francisco Cerundolo: 7-6 5-7, 6-3