Casper Ruud, the world’s No. 3 player, is learning that it’s hard to be a man to beat on the tour. The Norwegian lost a second consecutive match on the circuit on Tuesday, after his quarter-final in Seoul against Nishioka.
The Spaniard Jaume Munar clearly dominated the Norwegian, seeded No. 1 in Tokyo (6-3, 6-3) at the Ariake Colosseum in Tokyo, Tuesday in night session. Ruud only broke Munar once and conceded his serve four times.
Munar, 58th in the world at the ATP, will face Spaniard Pedro Martinez in the second round of the Japan Open.
The other posters of the first round in Tokyo (ATP 500, Ariake Colosseum, hard, 1,953,285 USD, results are displayed from newest to oldest):
- Denis Shapovalov – Steve Johnson: to play
- James Duckworth – Taylor Fritz: to play
- Miomir Kecmanovic – Yoshihito Nishioka: to play
- Hiroki Moriya – Yuta Shimizu: scheduled for Tuesday
- Nick Kyrgios – Chun-Hsin Tseng: scheduled for Tuesday
- Sho Shimabukuro – Kamil Majchrzak: schedule for Tuesday
- Rio Noguchi – Ramkumar Ramanathan: program Tuesday
- Daniel Evans (N.8) – Radu Albot: 6-7 6-1, 6-4
- Borna Coric (N.9) – Thanasi Kokkinakis: 6-4, 7-6 
- Soon Woo Kwon – Alex De Minaur (N.6): 6-3, 6-2
- Mackenzie McDonald – Kaichi Uchida (WC): 7-6 6-7 6-3
- Frances Tiafoe (N.4) – Yasutaka Uchiyama (WC): 6-3, 6-4
- Bernabe Zapata Miralles – Taro Daniel: 7-5, 7-5
- Brandon Nakashima – Shintaro Mochizuki (WC): 6-3, 6-2
- Pedro Martinez – Alexei Popyrin: 7-5, 6-4