Russian Veronika Kudermetova, seeded n°9, reached the second round of the San Jose tournament, beating Italian Camila Giorgi in three sets (7-6 4-6, 7-5) at the San Jose State University Tennis Center on Tuesday evening.
Kudermetova, 19th player in the world at the WTA, will face the winner of the match between Brazilian Beatriz Haddad Maia and American Claire Liu in the second round of the Californian tournament.
The other meetings of the first round in San José (WTA 500, San Jose State University Tennis Center, hard, $757,900, results are listed from newest to oldest):
- Beatriz Haddad Maia – Claire Liu: program Wednesday
- Coco Gauff – Anhelina Kalinina: Wednesday program
- Naomi Osaka – Qinwen Zheng: scheduled for Tuesday
- Shelby Rogers – Bianca Andreescu: program Tuesday
- Caroline Dolehide (LL) – Kayla Day (Q): 7-6 6-4
- Elizabeth Mandlik (Q) – Alison Riske-Amritraj: 6-3, 6-3
- Daria Kasatkina (N.7) – Elena Rybakina: 1-6, 6-2, 6-0
- Madison Keys-Shuai Zhang: 6-4, 6-2
- Taylor Townsend (Q) – Storm Sanders (Q): 6-1, 6-4
- Karolina Pliskova (N.8) – Katie Boulter (WC): 1-6, 7-6 6-3
- Amanda Anisimova – Ashlyn Krueger (WC): 6-2, 7-6