Belarusian Aryna Sabalenka, seeded No. 4, reached the quarter-finals of the San Jose tournament, beating lucky American loser Caroline Dolehide in three sets (5-7, 6-1, 7-5) Thursday in the evening at the San Jose State University Tennis Center.
Sabalenka, 6th player in the world at the WTA, will face the Russian Daria Kasatkina, seeded n°7 during the quarter-finals of the Californian tournament.
Dolehide, 168th in the world at the WTA, won against the qualified Kayla Day (7-6 6-4), in the previous round of the California tournament.
The other posters of the second round in San Jose (WTA 500, San Jose State University Tennis Center, hard, $757,900, results are listed from newest to oldest):
- Coco Gauff – Naomi Osaka: Friday program
- Maria Sakkari – Shelby Rogers: program Thursday
- Veronika Kudermetova (N.9) – Claire Liu: 6-2, 7-5
- Ons Jabeur (N.3) – Madison Keys: 7-5, 6-1
- Paula Badosa (N.2) – Elizabeth Mandlik (Q): 6-2, 5-7, 7-6 
- Daria Kasatkina – Taylor Townsend (Q): 6-4, 6-0
- Amanda Anisimova – Karolina Pliskova (N.8): 3-6, 7-5, 6-1