Former champion Greg Norman, who became the boss of LIV golf, confirmed on Monday July 1 that Tiger Woods had refused an offer of 700 to 800 million dollars [685 à 783 millions d’euros] to participate in the new dissident league financed by Saudi funds.
When asked on Fox News if it was true that 15-time Grand Slam winner Tiger Woods had been offered “700, 800 million dollars” to join the LIV, Norman replied: “This figure existed before I became CEO, so this figure exists, yes”.
“Tiger is someone who makes a difference, right? So, of course, we look to the best of all. They had approached Tiger before I became CEO, so yes, the number is in those waters”said the Australian on the sidelines of the Bedminster (New Jersey) tournament, third round of LIV Golf.
This rebellious league, with an extraordinary budget, has been fracturing the hushed world of golf for several months. Tiger Woods, 46, has always confirmed his loyalty to the PGA Tour and says he has no intention of following other Major winners, such as Phil Mickelson, Bryson DeChambeau, Sergio Garcia and Dustin Johnson, who have crossed the line. Before the British Open in July, he said: “I think what they’ve done is they’ve turned their backs on what got them to this level”he castigated.
“And who knows what will happen in the near future with world ranking points, entry criteria into Grand Slam tournaments? Some of these players may never have the chance to compete in Majors . It’s a possibility. We’re not sure yet.” he was afraid.